Dark injection crashes on startup (Black screen.)

Forum rules
BEFORE YOU POST...

Remember that all mods available here REQUIRE Spore: Galactic Adventures AND patch 5.1. Patch 6\Bot Parts does NOT include Patch 5.1! (Some may work on other setups, but this is recommended)

Can't get a mod to work? Feel free to ask for help, there's always someone around to help out. Just make sure to include the following information:
a) Did you install Spore from Steam, Origin, or a Disk?
b) Is your game patched to the latest version?
c) Do you have Galactic Adventures?
d) If so, is it also patched to the latest version?
e) Where did you install the mod to?
f) What is the file's current name in the folder you installed it to?
This information is needed for us to help you!
Nebby1999
Cell
Cell

Dark injection crashes on startup (Black screen.)

Unread post by Nebby1999 »

So, today on the steam sale i realized that SPORE had around 80% off, excited to replay the game with a new twist, i wanted to install dark injection to my game.
I looked it up and noticed the requirement of the mod API. which i decided to get. however, after following the instructions closely, dark injection does not start up, as soon as i start the launcher from the modAPI, the game freezes, and i end up with a black screen of death. when i attempt to close spore galactic adventures via the task manager it says "Does not respond".
the odd thing about this is the fact that, i can install and play with other mods with no problems. examples include :ccp: & :fs:
This is the steps i've used to install this.
1.- Open up steam, download Spore, Spore creepy & cute, Spore galactic adventures.
2.- Boot up galactic adventures once
3.- close galactic adventures
4.- install the modAPI
5.- Update the modAPI
6.- download dark injection
7.- install dark injection via the easy installer (Yes, I'm running it as Admin.)
8.- Install the default settings of Dark injection
9.- Attempt to boot up the game via the modAPI Launcher.
10.- black screen appears, game freezes.

any help is greatly apreciated, i don't use the .bat files since those don't seem to work for me, i'm running on windows 10.

rob55rod
Admin
Admin

Re: Dark injection crashes on startup (Black screen.)

Unread post by rob55rod »

Nebby1999 wrote:So, today on the steam sale i realized that SPORE had around 80% off, excited to replay the game with a new twist, i wanted to install dark injection to my game.
Buying and installing Spore from Steam was your first mistake. Whether or not it's directly responsible for this problem I don't know, but if it didn't cause this problem, it will likely cause another one soon enough. I've updated the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit's homepage to address the matter. Should've done that a long time ago, had I thought of it.

Nebby1999 wrote:install dark injection via the easy installer (Yes, I'm running it as Admin.)
No, absolutely DO NOT explicitly run any of the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit programs as Administrator. They'll request the privileges they need automatically.

Anywaves, there are a few things we can try...is the Steam version of Spore the only version you've ever used, or did you previously have another version of it?
Having trouble with the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit? Get help here!

If you're reading this, you have my permission to build off of my mods as long as I am credited. Please don't mirror my work unaltered, unless I no longer provide a working download.
Nebby1999
Cell
Cell

rob55rod wrote: Anywaves, there are a few things we can try...is the Steam version of Spore the only version you've ever used, or did you previously have another version of it?
i used to have spore on origin, however, i lost both the mail and the password, so i don't remember at all how to access my old origin account, however, since i had to create a new EA account to log into the spore servers, i did activate spore on a new origin account. should i try the process by downloading the game from origin?
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

Nebby1999 wrote:
rob55rod wrote: Anywaves, there are a few things we can try...is the Steam version of Spore the only version you've ever used, or did you previously have another version of it?
i used to have spore on origin, however, i lost both the mail and the password, so i don't remember at all how to access my old origin account, however, since i had to create a new EA account to log into the spore servers, i did activate spore on a new origin account. should i try the process by downloading the game from origin?
Um...it's a bit more complicated than that, actually - my suspicion was that you already had both versions of the game installed, as unfortunately is extremely common. Hell, even if you don't think you've ever installed it from Origin, I ran into someone a while back who said he'd only ever owned the game on...I think it was Steam, point was he said that was the only version he'd ever had. We still managed to find vestigial traces of what was once a retail install of the game on his machine. Thus I'd recommend that if you plan to move to the Origin version of the game (which is good, given it's not Steam Spore), you should backup your creations and save data and completely uninstall the Steam version of Spore beforehand.

I apologize in advance if this is all common sense, I've simply had a few too many...close calls when assisting people in the past. An ounce of prevention beats a pound of correction any day, y'know?

If you're reading this, you have my permission to build off of my mods as long as I am credited. Please don't mirror my work unaltered, unless I no longer provide a working download.
Nebby1999
Cell
Cell

rob55rod wrote: Um...it's a bit more complicated than that, actually - my suspicion was that you already had both versions of the game installed, as unfortunately is extremely common. Hell, even if you don't think you've ever installed it from Origin, I ran into someone a while back who said he'd only ever owned the game on...I think it was Steam, point was he said that was the only version he'd ever had. We still managed to find vestigial traces of what was once a retail install of the game on his machine. Thus I'd recommend that if you plan to move to the Origin version of the game (which is good, given it's not Steam Spore), you should backup your creations and save data and completely uninstall the Steam version of Spore beforehand.

I apologize in advance if this is all common sense, I've simply had a few too many...close calls when assisting people in the past. An ounce of prevention beats a pound of correction any day, y'know?
the original spore copy i had in origin, the one which i lost access to. last time i installed it was in my laptop, which i don't use anymore, since i moved into a desktop.
so, you're saying i should uninstall the steam version and delete every trace of spore (except my creations of course). and then install the origin version and try that one and attempt to install dark injection on it?
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

Nebby1999 wrote:so, you're saying i should uninstall the steam version
Yes.

Nebby1999 wrote:and delete every trace of spore (except my creations of course).
You'll probably want to keep your save data, too.

Nebby1999 wrote:then install the origin version and try that one and attempt to install dark injection on it?
Yes, that's correct.

Nebby1999
Cell
Cell

i'll try to do that, hopefully it works, if i end up with any kind of trouble i'll post another reply.
Nebby1999
Cell
Cell

rob55rod wrote: Yes, that's correct.
So, i tried it.
i uninstalled spore from steam and deleted almost everything related to spore, altho i did a backup of my creations for obvious reasons. afterwards i installed origin, installed the core game, installed creepy and cute, then galactic adventures. then the modApi and installed dark injection. still got the same black screen.
i have no idea what to do next.
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

Nebby1999 wrote:So, i tried it.
i uninstalled spore from steam and deleted almost everything related to spore, altho i did a backup of my creations for obvious reasons. afterwards i installed origin, installed the core game, installed creepy and cute, then galactic adventures. then the modApi and installed dark injection. still got the same black screen.
Hmm...odd.

Nebby1999 wrote:i have no idea what to do next.
Wait a second.

You said you'd just bought the game off of Steam to "replay" recently, and immediately installed Dark Injection, correct? If so, would I be correct to suspect that either...
1. You've not played the game on your current computer prior to repurchasing through Steam?
or
2. You'd played the game on your current computer a while ago, but had uninstalled it at some point, only to later repurchase it through Steam and reinstall from there?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Mod Help”