[PRE-ALPHA RELEASE] Branching Evolution

Talk about projects in development or experimental mods...
Kisutora
Creature
Creature

Re: [PRE-ALPHA RELEASE] Branching Evolution

Unread post by Kisutora »

Lovely! And I can clearly see why it is a Pre-Alpha. :D

Flames Kid
Civilian
Civilian

Unread post by Flames Kid »

ohh i thought it had been released
:di: I am just a simulation §§§§§§§
Willie5000
Hatchling
Hatchling

Unread post by Willie5000 »

Just tried it yesterday and... while it definitely is a pre-alpha, I am thoroughly impressed with what you made so far. Managed to make a small plant after four or five crashes - I'll probably post the PNG later today.

Still, great job, can't wait for the mod to be finished!
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

Unread post by rob55rod »

Willie5000 wrote:Just tried it yesterday and... while it definitely is a pre-alpha
Mmhmm...
Willie5000 wrote:I am thoroughly impressed with what you made so far.
Willie5000 wrote:Managed to make a small plant [...] I'll probably post the PNG later today.
CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT AAAAAAAAAAAA O-O
(Sorry, just...I've been excited for quite a while to see what, if anything, people would do with Branching Evolution...)
Willie5000 wrote:after four or five crashes
Yeah...it actually has a few more crash triggers than the unmodded Flora Editor, lol. Just the price to pay for substantially improved actual functionality...we'll see what I can do about that. Hopefully I'll have a chance to create a video this weekend, covering what causes things to crash or otherwise break, and how best to avoid those issues.
Willie5000 wrote:Still, great job, can't wait for the mod to be finished!
...in a way, I can't either. I'm eager to create something a little more usable, heh...
Having trouble with the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit? Get help here!

If you're reading this, you have my permission to build off of my mods as long as I am credited. Please don't mirror my work unaltered, unless I no longer provide a working download.
Willie5000
Hatchling
Hatchling

Here's the PNG of the plant I made. It's called (fittingly) a Test Tree;

And here's what they're supposed to look like in-game.

Most of the time the plants don't render unless I re-edit them (which is a complicated process that requires actually having the Flora Editor already open). I had to do that just for this screenshot.

Anyway, I hope you like it Rob. And again, thanks so much for this pre-alpha. I myself have been excited to finally be able to use the Flora Editor.
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

Willie5000 wrote:Here's the PNG of the plant I made. It's called (fittingly) a Test Tree;
Sounds like something I'd make :lol:
Extremely old yet still accurate example of what I mean: Image

Willie5000 wrote:Image
And here's what they're supposed to look like in-game.
Nice. Really makes my day to see people actually using the mod, after all these years...

Willie5000 wrote:Most of the time the plants don't render
"don't render" meaning...what, exactly?

Willie5000 wrote:unless I re-edit them (which is a complicated process that requires actually having the Flora Editor already open). I had to do that just for this screenshot.
Care to explain this process? I've been having trouble enabling the "Edit" button, so having documented exploit of some sort would be...well, better than nothing...
Willie5000 wrote:Anyway, I hope you like it Rob. And again, thanks so much for this pre-alpha. I myself have been excited to finally be able to use the Flora Editor.
I do, very much so, and the excitement is mutual ^-^

If you're reading this, you have my permission to build off of my mods as long as I am credited. Please don't mirror my work unaltered, unless I no longer provide a working download.
Willie5000
Hatchling
Hatchling

When I say it doesn't render, I mean that the model doesn't load and the plant is totally invisible. At least in the Adventure Editor and the Preview Window.

As for how I managed to edit it; go into the Flora Editor as you described, then once you're in the Editor open the Sporepedia and find the plant you want to edit. Double click the Sporepedia icon/card of the plant you want to edit and it should open up in the editor.

Note that I haven't tried this with any of the Maxis plants.

Also, as a side note, maybe when a more stable build of this mod exists you should consider holding a contest on the Sporum where you create a plant with the Flora Editor. It'd be a fun way to encourage people to make and share the stuff they make with this mod..
Flames Kid
Civilian
Civilian

Here are my plants, some of them are a bit buggy
Attachments
Spine Fruit.png
Spine Fruit.png (14.47 KiB) Viewed 66251 times
SpikTre.png
SpikTre.png (14.2 KiB) Viewed 66251 times
Spike Fruit Tree.png
Spike Fruit Tree.png (14.49 KiB) Viewed 66251 times
Spike Fruit Flower.png
Spike Fruit Flower.png (18.29 KiB) Viewed 66251 times
Potato Tree.png
Potato Tree.png (27.97 KiB) Viewed 66251 times
Potato Tree Young.png
Potato Tree Young.png (14.12 KiB) Viewed 66251 times
Potato Tree (1).png
Potato Tree (1).png (14.14 KiB) Viewed 66251 times
Potato Sprout.png
Potato Sprout.png (14.14 KiB) Viewed 66251 times
Name Your Plant.png
Name Your Plant.png (18.14 KiB) Viewed 66251 times
Name Your Plant (1).png
Name Your Plant (1).png (17.4 KiB) Viewed 66251 times
Large.png
Large.png (14.28 KiB) Viewed 66251 times
Helloo.png
Helloo.png (14.38 KiB) Viewed 66251 times
Eye Catcher.png
Eye Catcher.png (20.59 KiB) Viewed 66251 times
Duno.png
Duno.png (14.35 KiB) Viewed 66251 times
Curly Shroom.png
Curly Shroom.png (14.56 KiB) Viewed 66251 times
Civet.png
Civet.png (14.43 KiB) Viewed 66251 times
cachtoo.png
cachtoo.png (14.22 KiB) Viewed 66251 times
ThatDaisy
Civilian
Civilian

Unread post by ThatDaisy »

They don't spawn naturally even when I remove GAprop tag ;( Davo's flora editor lets them spawn...
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

ThatDemonDavid wrote:They don't spawn naturally even when I remove GAprop tag ;( Davo's flora editor lets them spawn...
Oh, really? Good, I guess that way they won't be going around making the Staff of Life crash the game :lol:

ThatDaisy
Civilian
Civilian

rob55rod wrote:
ThatDemonDavid wrote:They don't spawn naturally even when I remove GAprop tag ;( Davo's flora editor lets them spawn...
Oh, really? Good, I guess that way they won't be going around making the Staff of Life crash the game :lol:
Yeah well, I was able to use the staff of life fine with Davo's flora editor which supposable is supposed to crash the game for the same reason.
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

ThatDemonDavid wrote:
rob55rod wrote:
Yeah well, I was able to use the staff of life fine with Davo's flora editor which supposable is supposed to crash the game for the same reason.
Well it doesn't crash if the plants are tagged with gaprop...

ThatDaisy
Civilian
Civilian

rob55rod wrote:
ThatDemonDavid wrote:
rob55rod wrote: Oh, really? Good, I guess that way they won't be going around making the Staff of Life crash the game :lol:
Obviously, but these creations were not tagged with gaprop. In fact, they spawned on my homeworld.
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

ThatDemonDavid wrote:
rob55rod wrote:
ThatDemonDavid wrote: Yeah well, I was able to use the staff of life fine with Davo's flora editor which supposable is supposed to crash the game for the same reason.
Obviously, but these creations were not tagged with gaprop. In fact, they spawned on my homeworld.
Oh...odd... ._____.

paranoid_modder
Civilian
Civilian

Unread post by paranoid_modder »

Here are some plants i made, big medium and small. finally got the editor to work, but they dont seem to show up anywhere other then everything tab under sporepedia. oh well, here they are!
Attachments
sippy straw.png
sippy straw.png (24.6 KiB) Viewed 66186 times
macarony n cheese 2.png
macarony n cheese 2.png (23.83 KiB) Viewed 66186 times
big bill.png
big bill.png (25.04 KiB) Viewed 66186 times
Flames Kid
Civilian
Civilian

is the pngs working?
paranoid_modder
Civilian
Civilian

Unread post by paranoid_modder »

Flames Kid wrote:is the pngs working?
i dont know, i just uploaded them here :p
GerbilCrab475
Hatchling
Hatchling

Unread post by GerbilCrab475 »

This mod is very interesting. The best plant editor mod there is out there. It makes me wonder if the plant parts can be used in the creature editor since it seems that the plant editor is very similar to the creature editor (like how the building and vehicle editors are similar to each other). Of course, the issue of getting the parts to be visible in the editor and not just after the creation is made still needs to be addressed.
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

GerbilCrab475 wrote:This mod is very interesting. The best plant editor mod there is out there.
GerbilCrab475 wrote:It makes me wonder if the plant parts can be used in the creature editor since it seems that the plant editor is very similar to the creature editor (like how the building and vehicle editors are similar to each other).
They're both skin-based editors, so yes, that would work, although I currently have no intentions of doing so.

GerbilCrab475 wrote:Of course, the issue of getting the parts to be visible in the editor and not just after the creation is made still needs to be addressed.
By default, they're not visible in either case, because the models don't exist anymore. I've been fixing the parts by pulling the models from the pre-baked Maxis flora models. It's a royal pain in the rear to do, hence why it's taking so long...I often find I get discouraged rather quickly, and end up moving to another project :/

GerbilCrab475
Hatchling
Hatchling

Unread post by GerbilCrab475 »

rob55rod wrote: They're both skin-based editors, so yes, that would work, although I currently have no intentions of doing so.
Aw darn, I would love to use some of those wacky branch parts for limbs. The decorative parts could pretty much only be used for plant creatures though, which could still be interesting. However, your mod, your choices.
By default, they're not visible in either case, because the models don't exist anymore. I've been fixing the parts by pulling the models from the pre-baked Maxis flora models. It's a royal pain in the rear to do, hence why it's taking so long...I often find I get discouraged rather quickly, and end up moving to another project :/
It sounds like you're doing the job of what would take a team to do with this mod. Pretty much the only issue is the invisible part problem (and the easily avoidable crashes I guess) so don't get too discouraged. There's some real progress here and it could lead to the production of even more mods. I wish you luck. If there's any way I can help I will.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “[WIP] Work In Progress”