Attention to Modders - Regarding File-Hosting Websites

Questions seeking answers can be found here, someone else may have had the same issue and might have a solution.
Forum rules
BEFORE YOU POST...

Remember that mods you download that are created by Davo REQUIRE Spore: Galactic Adventures and REQUIRE your game to be installed & patched in this order.
  • - Install Spore Game
  • - (OPTIONAL) Install Spore C&C
  • - Install Spore Galactic Adventures
  • - Patch Spore and Spore Galactic Adventures to 1.5.1
If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.
DarkEdgeTV
Tribal
Tribal

Attention to Modders - Regarding File-Hosting Websites

Unread post by DarkEdgeTV »

Hey guys. I've just had a bit of a disturbing comment today, someone saying they had their PC infected with virus(s) when attempting to download some mods. This is the first time I've ever heard of this, so I was skeptical at first, but I don't want to ignore what could be a serious issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkOCXjJ ... tq2v15hd1c

I did a quick bit of research and asked my other half about this, it seems that "895-system32.exe" is malware designed to trick/bait users into thinking they have a virus and have to contact given details or download so and so named piece of software to "clean" it, and thus infecting their system even more (I've also been told this is next-to non-existent on Windows 8 and 10, which could be why I haven't seen this before. This could also just be a really nasty one-off occasion).

If I've understood what I've read correctly, this malware attaches itself to other downloadable's on file-hosting sites, possibly like AdFly and MediaFire. I really don't know for certain, but I want to mention this in case it really is an issue. I simply don't believe DavoOnline is hosting any malicious content, but it seems highly possible that other file-sharing sites are.

I don't know what to suggest, I just want to give the heads-up, if there's anything anyone can do. Cheers!

fungus3
Sentient
Sentient

Re: Attention to Modders - Regarding File-Hosting Websites

Unread post by fungus3 »

That's exactly what I said to Davo and ThrowSomething months ago about the malware issue!
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

Unread post by rob55rod »

AFAIK this can also happen when a user is fooled by one of the ads on either an adf.ly page or a mediafire download page T__T

EDIT: That having been said, if anyone has evidence that I am incorrect, PLEASE TELL ME OR ANOTHER STAFF MEMBER IMMEDIATELY.
Having trouble with the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit? Get help here!

If you're reading this, you have my permission to build off of my mods as long as I am credited. Please don't mirror my work unaltered, unless I no longer provide a working download.
Shattered
Sentient
Sentient

Unread post by Shattered »

All I am wondering is... DARKEDGE... You posted!

How did I catch that? (but seriously though you have always inspired me)
Thanks for killing me
ThrowSomething
Civilian
Civilian

Unread post by ThrowSomething »

I followed your links and didn't get any red flags. The culprit must be external, as a scan for malware on DavoOnline shows clean. Adf.ly sure has some tricky navigation issues, and it seems Yami no Tenshi didn't click 'Skip Ad", but went the 'other' route. This is the first time I've ever heard anyone having issues, though.
DarkEdgeTV
Tribal
Tribal

Received another message about someone's anti-virus blocking DavoOnline. I hope this isn't common :( But ThrowSomething I completely agree, it's got to be an external issue... which is all the more annoying for everyone here.
Darhagonable
Admin
Admin

Unread post by Darhagonable »

What was the name of the antivirus?
DarkEdgeTV
Tribal
Tribal

I'm not sure I'm afraid, the user hasn't replied since
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

DarkEdgeTV wrote:Received another message about someone's anti-virus blocking DavoOnline. I hope this isn't common :( But ThrowSomething I completely agree, it's got to be an external issue... which is all the more annoying for everyone here.
...ads, perhaps? I've heard of sites getting flagged due to ads... ._.
DarkEdgeTV wrote:I'm not sure I'm afraid, the user hasn't replied since
Just great T__T

If you're reading this, you have my permission to build off of my mods as long as I am credited. Please don't mirror my work unaltered, unless I no longer provide a working download.
DarkEdgeTV
Tribal
Tribal

I've been getting some more reports throughout various comments/private messages, so I did a bit more research. I think it is indeed AdFly causing it - According to what I've read, the hosts aren't the best at combing through what advertisements they let through onto their ad-pages, so every now and then some malicious stuff comes up, such as surveys you're forced to fill out if you want to get to the next page (closing the page might work...). I've tested some Dark Injections links and I have been redirected to other pages a few times. Strange that this has only been springing up recently though, but enough times that I see it as a problem.

Looks like it can be avoided by just clicking on the right thing, or having any basic virus scanner, but... eh, common sense isn't so common nowadays. I don't want any of us to be "responsible" of someone installing some crap.

I've been meaning to reupload some mods as mirrors, but after I said this I realized that I'm pretty much screwing Davo and anyone else out of their AdFly earnings, which I really don't want to do. Can anyone think of a fair alternative? I'm going to be making a mod tutorial vid which is going to explain the above anyway, but there's always going to be people that don't research and complain about viruses.
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

DarkEdgeTV wrote:I've been getting some more reports throughout various comments/private messages, so I did a bit more research. I think it is indeed AdFly causing it - According to what I've read, the hosts aren't the best at combing through what advertisements they let through onto their ad-pages, so every now and then some malicious stuff comes up, such as surveys you're forced to fill out if you want to get to the next page (closing the page might work...). I've tested some Dark Injections links and I have been redirected to other pages a few times. Strange that this has only been springing up recently though, but enough times that I see it as a problem.

Looks like it can be avoided by just clicking on the right thing, or having any basic virus scanner, but... eh, common sense isn't so common nowadays. I don't want any of us to be "responsible" of someone installing some crap.

I've been meaning to reupload some mods as mirrors, but after I said this I realized that I'm pretty much screwing Davo and anyone else out of their AdFly earnings, which I really don't want to do. Can anyone think of a fair alternative? I'm going to be making a mod tutorial vid which is going to explain the above anyway, but there's always going to be people that don't research and complain about viruses.
I'll add instructions on how to use that page to the download page. If that doesn't solve the problem, I suppose I should also include a disclaimer saying we aren't responsible for anything downloaded from adf.ly itself ._.

DarkEdgeTV
Tribal
Tribal

Good idea, and I'd say include the disclaimer anyway. I've just finished recording and really tried to emphasize that these viruses have nothing to do with us and DavoOnline, it's just an unfortunate result of AdFly. Hopefully having these messages out there will help at least a few people that wouldn't otherwise know ._.
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

DarkEdgeTV wrote:Good idea, and I'd say include the disclaimer anyway. I've just finished recording and really tried to emphasize that these viruses have nothing to do with us and DavoOnline, it's just an unfortunate result of AdFly. Hopefully having these messages out there will help at least a few people that wouldn't otherwise know ._.
Indeed, and while I can't upload the updated page right now, it will be up ASAP, probably about 3 hours from now ._:-.

EDIT: Also the page has been greatly improved in a number of other functional ways :OD

joshyflip
Creature
Creature

Unread post by joshyflip »

Ya know, ad.fly actually downloaded a virus to me too.
Dang adfly.
Hoo boy, i sure do love the cell stage.
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

sporefan00 wrote:Ya know, ad.fly actually downloaded a virus to me too.
Dang adfly.
I wonder if bit.ly is any better...

...then again, this is technically an ID-10_T problem, not a real malicious assault...but screw that, IMO we should fix it regardless ._.

joshyflip
Creature
Creature

Unread post by joshyflip »

rob55rod wrote:
Dang adfly.

...then again, this is technically an ID-10_T problem, not a real malicious assault...but screw that, IMO we should fix it regardless ._.
Bit.ly is amazing, no viruses at all, lol. :mrgreen:
Hoo boy, i sure do love the cell stage.
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

sporefan00 wrote:
rob55rod wrote:
Dang adfly.

Bit.ly is amazing, no viruses at all, lol. :mrgreen:
Hopefully Davo will be open to switching, then ._.

Davo
The Boss
The Boss

Unread post by Davo »

eh... I have hundreds of links across many sites...
where would i start...
Davo
The Boss
The Boss

Unread post by Davo »

adf.ly wrote:Safe Advertising

All advertising is strictly family-safe with no popups. Anti-virus and malware servers are scanning the adverts 24/7.
on their homepage

http://adf.ly/
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

Davo wrote:
adf.ly wrote:Safe Advertising

All advertising is strictly family-safe with no popups. Anti-virus and malware servers are scanning the adverts 24/7.
on their homepage

http://adf.ly/
Um...wat ._.

Huh....so, maybe people just have extremely paranoid antivirus software? .-.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Help”