Farewell, Maxis

Looking to just have a conversation about Spore? Come join in on the many topics or start a new one!
GBAura
Sentient
Sentient

Farewell, Maxis

Unread post by GBAura »

I'm afraid to inform all of you that I have some bad news, Electronic Arts has shut down Maxis today. Everyone who worked for the company is now out of job (expect for the people who were involved in SimCity, who now moved to EAHG) and any of their projects (including the Spore-like game they mentioned) are more likely cancelled. The servers for their games such as Spore and SimCity will continue running, so there's not reason to fret over the functionally of your games.

Maxis had a good run, let's hope there will be someone that'll follow their footsteps.

Source: http://www.beyondsims.com/55229/ea-clos ... meryville/

Ripper of Spore: Unofficial Galactic Score and... that's about it.

Need to download all the official Maxis and Robot Chicken Adventures? Click here!
kendre
Cell
Cell

Re: Farewell, Maxis

Unread post by kendre »

OHH NOO!!
''Din't your mama told you to not play wifh matches?''
tha'ts what he said!
Darhagonable
Admin
Admin

Unread post by Darhagonable »

Noooo!
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

Unread post by rob55rod »

WHY EA!?!?!

Y U DO DIS!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...........................................................

...just when Spore was beginning to exist again, at that...

...anyone think that might be why?
Having trouble with the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit? Get help here!

If you're reading this, you have my permission to build off of my mods as long as I am credited. Please don't mirror my work unaltered, unless I no longer provide a working download.
Darhagonable
Admin
Admin

Can someone tell me more exactly what this will mean?
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

Darhagonable wrote:Can someone tell me more exactly what this will mean?
No, we can't, because we don't know. Only time will tell.

If you're reading this, you have my permission to build off of my mods as long as I am credited. Please don't mirror my work unaltered, unless I no longer provide a working download.
Darhagonable
Admin
Admin

rob55rod wrote:
Darhagonable wrote:Can someone tell me more exactly what this will mean?
No, we can't, because we don't know. Only time will tell.
ok
Nuclear Crazed
Creature
Creature

Unread post by Nuclear Crazed »

they has done nothing to spore for a while so we should not care
Vallachan
Sentient
Sentient

Unread post by Vallachan »

I kinda expected something along these lines, not this drastic, but it was going to happen sometime. I mean its not like they were doing anything with spore. Sucks, because they could have easily made loads of money off spore content and or dlcs while with the sims, if they had taken advantage of their opportunity and done better anti piracy protection.
Spore is creative, even the mods and hacks.
Or, should I say, especially the mods and hacks?

Now currently making content for the Life is Strange and Portal communities. Check me out on YouTube
Nuclear Crazed
Creature
Creature

Unread post by Nuclear Crazed »

Meh
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

Camßεn wrote:I kinda expected something along these lines, not this drastic, but it was going to happen sometime. I mean its not like they were doing anything with spore. Sucks, because they could have easily made loads of money off spore content and or dlcs while with the sims, if they had taken advantage of their opportunity
Yeah, agreed. Tis a real loss. But then again, there's still hope, as Spore is not officially abandoned just yet, and every series developed by Maxis is now being "reconsidered"...

Camßεn wrote:better anti piracy protection.
No. And you know exactly why.

But if I'm wrong about that, send a PM or something, and I'll tell you there...

emd
Admin
Admin

Unread post by emd »

Camßεn wrote: and done better anti piracy protection.
Why would this give them more money?
Spore Modding Tools:
[list]
[*] SporeModder FX
[*] SporeModder Blender Addons
[*] Spore ModAPI SDK[/list]
pacca
Tribal
Tribal

Unread post by pacca »

Well, no one is able to pirate a functional copy of spore, the only way for anyone to get it would be to buy from maxis, increasing sales.
emd
Admin
Admin

Unread post by emd »

pacguy64 wrote:Well, no one is able to pirate a functional copy of spore, the only way for anyone to get it would be to buy from maxis, increasing sales.
It may not increase sales. Not being able to pirate Spore doesn't mean I'm gonna buy it. If someone gets a pirated copy of the game, is usually because he couldn't buy it anyways, not because he doesn't want to give money to the company.
But well, there you have an example: DarkSpore. I think it's more dead than Spore, although it was released after. And it can't be pirated.
Spore Modding Tools:
[list]
[*] SporeModder FX
GIRGHGH
Civilian
Civilian

Unread post by GIRGHGH »

Emd4600 [ASR] wrote:
pacguy64 wrote:Well, no one is able to pirate a functional copy of spore, the only way for anyone to get it would be to buy from maxis, increasing sales.
It may not increase sales. Not being able to pirate Spore doesn't mean I'm gonna buy it. If someone gets a pirated copy of the game, is usually because he couldn't buy it anyways, not because he doesn't want to give money to the company.
But well, there you have an example: DarkSpore. I think it's more dead than Spore, although it was released after. And it can't be pirated.
Every time I go on there are other people on.
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

GIRGHGH wrote:
Emd4600 [ASR] wrote:
Every time I go on there are other people on.
Same here :mrgreen:

Vallachan
Sentient
Sentient

Well by the piracy thing I meant that one time when maxis was asked about the future of spore, its position as one of the most highly pirated games in the world sorta deterred them from wanting to make more. I can't find the article right now but I think it could probably be found with a bit of googling.

Now currently making content for the Life is Strange and Portal communities. Check me out on YouTube
emd
Admin
Admin

Unread post by emd »

Camßεn wrote:Well by the piracy thing I meant that one time when maxis was asked about the future of spore, its position as one of the most highly pirated games in the world sorta deterred them from wanting to make more. I can't find the article right now but I think it could probably be found with a bit of googling.
Game of Thrones is the most pirated serie in the history. And they are proud of it.
Spore Modding Tools:
[list]
[*] SporeModder FX
Vallachan
Sentient
Sentient

Yea, they're cool, they can take it. EA naturally would get a bit pissy about it. I'm not saying dont pirate the game, I'm just saying that their ineffective methods of piracy blocking caused them to lose tons of money and that was taken into consideration when abandoning the game.

TheJo_Jo
Hatchling
Hatchling

Unread post by TheJo_Jo »

Can someone please tell me what this spore-like game was because i havent heard anything about spore or maxis since darkspore
The Jo-Joest one around :geek:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”