Form a 3-person extra parts team?

The place for mod discussions and seeking out information about Spore modding.
Forum rules
Can't get a mod to work?
Try these... FIRST!

http://www.davoonline.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=6
Chenjesu
Tribal
Tribal

Form a 3-person extra parts team?

Unread post by Chenjesu »

Does anyone want to form a team of 3 people to make new sets of spore body parts where, the first person drafts what a part looks like from multiple sides so it can be easily created as a 3-D model, the second person makes a model of it, and the third person puts it in some kind of package that's usable for spore. ? That's pretty much exactly what they do for actual games.

Davo
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Form a 3-person extra parts team?

Unread post by Davo »

usually the ones putting the parts in spore are capabile of thinking and making the models themselves...
Vallachan
Sentient
Sentient

Unread post by Vallachan »

Davo wrote:usually the ones putting the parts in spore are capabile of thinking and making the models themselves...
yes. and besides, rob is taking part requests. I already know that you would be the one drawing the parts.
Spore is creative, even the mods and hacks.
Or, should I say, especially the mods and hacks?

Now currently making content for the Life is Strange and Portal communities. Check me out on YouTube
Chenjesu
Tribal
Tribal

Davo wrote:usually the ones putting the parts in spore are capabile of thinking and making the models themselves...
Which takes more work...
CamBen wrote:
yes. and besides, rob is taking part requests. I already know that you would be the one drawing the parts.
Well, he's taking pre-made models it seems like. You either have to make a part in spore then get a png of it which is pointless because it's nothing new because you're using the spore editor, or you have to make a new model yourself from scratch outside of spore and give it to him/her. And besides, 3-D modeling would go quicker if you know what all of the views look like already especially in blender when you can auto-align to the different top-down-front-left-right views, you would essentially just move/draw lines and vertices to match the different views provided, and then that person just emails or uploads the file somewhere and someone else can put it in. It's more about time. Sure, some programmer could have single handedly made bioshoock infinite, but it would have taken them 50 years.
Vallachan
Sentient
Sentient

The thing is, 3d modeling does not require a reference picture, but it is helpful. I'm pretty sure just about everyone here is perfectly capable of drawing their own pictures and coming up with their own concept in their mind. If you want to make models, I recommend using sculptris and milkshape. Because nobody here will make parts that are completely and fully custom modeled for you unless they specifically say they are taking requests.

Now currently making content for the Life is Strange and Portal communities. Check me out on YouTube
Chenjesu
Tribal
Tribal

CamBen wrote:The thing is, 3d modeling does not require a reference picture, but it is helpful. I'm pretty sure just about everyone here is perfectly capable of drawing their own pictures and coming up with their own concept in their mind. If you want to make models, I recommend using sculptris and milkshape. Because nobody here will make parts that are completely and fully custom modeled for you unless they specifically say they are taking requests.
It doesn't have to me, someone else can say "hey I want a bug hand" and then I draft a bug hand from 3-6 different views, you know what the word "team" means and you know it makes things to faster right?
Vallachan
Sentient
Sentient

Chenjesu wrote:
CamBen wrote:The thing is, 3d modeling does not require a reference picture, but it is helpful. I'm pretty sure just about everyone here is perfectly capable of drawing their own pictures and coming up with their own concept in their mind. If you want to make models, I recommend using sculptris and milkshape. Because nobody here will make parts that are completely and fully custom modeled for you unless they specifically say they are taking requests.
It doesn't have to me, someone else can say "hey I want a bug hand" and then I draft a bug hand from 3-6 different views, you know what the word "team" means and you know it makes things to faster right?
well it doesn't have to be you, but we both know who it would be. You.

Chenjesu
Tribal
Tribal

CamBen wrote:well it doesn't have to be you, but we both know who it would be. You.
Well it would be anyone who was on the team who had an idea they really liked.
Davo
The Boss
The Boss

Unread post by Davo »

Ok chen, no need to be a smart sassafrass...
Chenjesu
Tribal
Tribal

Davo wrote:Ok chen, no need to be a smart sassafrass...
That's not being a smart-sassafrass, that's explaining what I said, no need to be randomly insulting.
GBAura
Sentient
Sentient

Unread post by GBAura »

OK, I didn't want to step into this argument but I think I need to sort this out without this thread having a negative impression. Chenjesu, please don't take any offense (although I don't agree with Davo calling you a smar-tass), but I should explain where Davo and Camben are coming from with the responses you're getting.

Before I get to that, let me state my option on this subject you brought up. For starters, I really like the idea of making a team to create custom Spore parts in order to reduce time, but I'm afraid mod development does not work like that. It's basically a small project that one person does all by themselves with no assistance or extra help from anyone, and all they have is their ideas and tools. It's not like working for a company where some people make concept art and the others put it in the game, modding is a purely solo task that is done for fun, and the only reward they get is the joy from other people (and even themselves) when their efforts expands the game in totally new and unexpected ways. Mods are just made by one guy with an idea and shares it online, that's it.

However, there ARE exceptions to this sort of thing and it is very close to the idea you were talking about (I'll explain in a bit). It's possible that a mod leaves a huge impression on people that they would like to help out, but this is rare because most mods are minor adjustments to the game, not a huge overhaul. Take Dark Injection for instance, it started out as a mod to put Darkspore parts into Core Spore, but because people wanted an update to the game so badly and DS was a slap in the face to the fans (not just because the concept of it and how it had nothing to do with the series, but the fact Maxis neglected the original game after Galactic Adventures), they loved it and wanted to contribute in some form. To them, this is what Maxis should've done in the first place. Sure, there are mods for other games and even Spore itself that fix some problems, bugs, add variety to the gameplay and so on, but the Spore community got shafted for a long time and Dark Injection is the answer to all the mistreatment they had and constantly dealt with.

Even so, most of the work is done by one guy, but here's where your teamwork idea comes in. Since users found this mod really interesting, they began to make suggestions, report any bugs they found and make custom adjustments to improve upon the mod in some way. However, the maker of the mod didn't ask for help or started it, they just came in because they want it to make it bigger and better, and boy did they deliver! HelmoChipChop contributed by uncovering textures files that was pretty much impossible to find, it was done to fix some graphic issues since Spore can't run the textures like DarkSpore can, and the DS parts were severely discoloured because of this. Me and Dooweep began beta testing and renamed a bunch of stuff to make it more user-friendly since the Darkspore parts that was loaded in the mod had unreadable names. The other Spore parts that was included (Cell and Grox, but I was the one who suggested to be put in since the older mods that had these don't work with recent patches) was also renamed since they shared the same names as the other existing parts. Camben and Botifier soon put their custom parts into the mod as well, I assume it's because Davo had a good relationship with the two, but the other reason that I know of is because running DI and CB's part mod together caused some overwriting issues thanks to the included Cell Parts, but that was my fault. :P

I'm not saying a team to make mods would be impossible, I'm saying that most modders prefer do the work themselves because that's how they like it. If you think about it, setting up a team of people to make mods would be painful because they are used to be independent with their work and doing this would not only ruin the quality of the mod, but the relationship with others since they feel this was forced and they can't help but rush. It's not like they work at an office, they are just people who have life outside the internet who have a small spot for mod making. Because of this, many modders prefer to have creative control over their work, take all the time they need in their project and think of new ideas, as this the most comfortable option for them. Sure, they can take suggestions from others or even pick up a beta tester now and then, but mods are created solely for fun, and doing this would hurt the people working on it.

Please don't take this whole thing the wrong way Chenjesu, I do appreciate and understand the fact you want to help and even participate in some way, but forming a team isn't something a lot of modders would agree on doing because of the reasons above. The only time they would do this is if they wanted help so they notify others about it, or even if they choose to help, but it's the person's choice if they want to do that, just like with Dark Injection. It's not like a job where the workers have to do what their boss says or even cooperate to get things done faster, it's a hobby which people do independently and can get help as an option if they need it. I know your idea is meant to fix the problems with mod development, but this is something a lot of modders would not spend time doing because of teamwork problems. This whole thing is a case of: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. And I think it's best to leave it as it is. Again, I appreciate the idea, it's just it wouldn't work with this set up.
Ripper of Spore: Unofficial Galactic Score and... that's about it.

Need to download all the official Maxis and Robot Chicken Adventures? Click here!
Vallachan
Sentient
Sentient

This is the best post in this entire thread. Thank you for posting this, this probably cleared it up for both sides. again, great post.

GBAura
Sentient
Sentient

Unread post by GBAura »

Heh, thanks. I'm usually not like this but I wanted to help Chenjesu. He's a good guy with a lot of ambition, but I wanted to clear this whole argument up. I do think this team thing is a good idea, but it's best if modders work alone and get help if they need it or if the people come to them. Chenjesu still could form a team if he wanted to, in fact it's entirely possible, but it might go nowhere unless if the other members agree with the idea and work together on just that.
Ripper of Spore: Unofficial Galactic Score and... that's about it.

Need to download all the official Maxis and Robot Chicken Adventures? Click here!
Chenjesu
Tribal
Tribal

It's not like people are in modding for the fame and money, well maybe Davo is, but it would make doing any particular task easier if there were more people contributing and that's the simple logic to it, it's not very complicated. If you're not interested that's fine, I'm just seeing if anyone is. Also, you can't generalize how modders are as people and whether they are introverts or extroverts or anti-social when you've never met probably more then a few. If I was making something like I mod I'd be fine with working with someone else, just like for my games.
emd
Admin
Admin

Unread post by emd »

If you want to make a mod, it's better make it alone. Coordination is horrible.
Spore Modding Tools:
[list]
[*] SporeModder FX
[*] SporeModder Blender Addons
[*] Spore ModAPI SDK[/list]
Davo
The Boss
The Boss

Unread post by Davo »

What money do you keep speaking of?
Chenjesu
Tribal
Tribal

Emd4600 [ASR] wrote:If you want to make a mod, it's better make it alone. Coordination is horrible.
Coordination is how real software get's made.
Davo wrote:What money do you keep speaking of?
The donation money, currently at $378.61.
Davo
The Boss
The Boss

Unread post by Davo »

Where do you see that? Link or screenshot please...
Davo
The Boss
The Boss

Unread post by Davo »

if you mean that number at the top right of the screen, thats forum money. thats money you get for posting and being active on the forum.

look here...

points.php?mode=info

it is about as spendable as monopoly money.

even if it were REAL money, i do not think it is any of your business to tell me where to spend it or to tell me that my mods are all about making money or furthermore you should not even bring it up.
if someone does donate money to me it is usually because i have done something for them. it has nothing to do with the site or this forum, its about enjoyment.
im really trying not to be rude, you keep pushing me, i get a little edgey
any replys to this response will be deleted.

if you want to form a modding team, make a new topic. this one is locked.
Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Mod Discussion”