Spore crashes after Installing Dark Injections

Questions seeking answers can be found here, someone else may have had the same issue and might have a solution.
Forum rules
BEFORE YOU POST...

Remember that mods you download that are created by Davo REQUIRE Spore: Galactic Adventures and REQUIRE your game to be installed & patched in this order.
  • - Install Spore Game
  • - (OPTIONAL) Install Spore C&C
  • - Install Spore Galactic Adventures
  • - Patch Spore and Spore Galactic Adventures to 1.5.1
If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

Re: Spore crashes after Installing Dark Injections

Unread post by rob55rod »

MewtwoFanz wrote:https://photos.app.goo.gl/D5tL5NWc9R49J1QY8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/2hdPi5stVvzq5fk97
https://photos.app.goo.gl/5jpLKj3KXGm9zdES7
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Mc9xYajm3nrUcjG79
Here's a list of my currently installed mods. I hilighted the ones that are not DI or spore galactic adventures' regular files. Hope this helps
Your Data folder isn't a comprehensive list of the mods you have installed. That likely doesn't matter now though, don't worry about it.

MewtwoFanz wrote:Hey, guess what I just found out! It has NOTHING to do with Dark Injections, it's the Modapi Launcher!
Yeah...I was kinda suspecting that that was the case.
MewtwoFanz wrote:I don't remember who created the modapi launcher, though.
That would be Emd...though admittedly I've been largely responsible for maintaining the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit for the past year or so.

MewtwoFanz wrote:So, after doing some looking around on my laptop's files, I think I have more than one ModAPI Launchers installed.
That would most likely explain the problem, yes. If not the problem, then it's definitely a problem, and one we should look into resolving...

MewtwoFanz wrote:How do I fix this
1. Choose one of the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kits you wish to keep, and make sure it's up to date (v1.1.0.51 as of writing this). The version is listed in the bottom-left corner of the Spore ModAPI Easy Uninstaller.
2. Use the Spore ModAPI Easy Uninstaller from the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit you did NOT choose to keep to uninstall all of the mods you installed using that Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit.
3. Reinstall all of the mods you just uninstalled, this time using the Spore ModAPI Easy Installer from the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit you DID choose to keep.
4. Delete the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit you chose NOT to keep.

MewtwoFanz wrote:and could somebody make a version of the ModAPI Launcher that can fix this problem and let spore run correctly?
No, that's completely unnecessary. Metaphorically speaking, that's like asking someone to custom-build you a new engine specifically for your car...because your car has a flat tire.

Having trouble with the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit? Get help here!

If you're reading this, you have my permission to build off of my mods as long as I am credited. Please don't mirror my work unaltered, unless I no longer provide a working download.
MewtwoFanz
Creature
Creature

Unread post by MewtwoFanz »

rob55rod wrote:
MewtwoFanz wrote:https://photos.app.goo.gl/D5tL5NWc9R49J1QY8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/2hdPi5stVvzq5fk97
https://photos.app.goo.gl/5jpLKj3KXGm9zdES7
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Mc9xYajm3nrUcjG79
Here's a list of my currently installed mods. I hilighted the ones that are not DI or spore galactic adventures' regular files. Hope this helps
Your Data folder isn't a comprehensive list of the mods you have installed. That likely doesn't matter now though, don't worry about it.

MewtwoFanz wrote:Hey, guess what I just found out! It has NOTHING to do with Dark Injections, it's the Modapi Launcher!
Yeah...I was kinda suspecting that that was the case.
MewtwoFanz wrote:I don't remember who created the modapi launcher, though.
That would be Emd...though admittedly I've been largely responsible for maintaining the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit for the past year or so.

MewtwoFanz wrote:So, after doing some looking around on my laptop's files, I think I have more than one ModAPI Launchers installed.
That would most likely explain the problem, yes. If not the problem, then it's definitely a problem, and one we should look into resolving...

MewtwoFanz wrote:How do I fix this
1. Choose one of the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kits you wish to keep, and make sure it's up to date (v1.1.0.51 as of writing this). The version is listed in the bottom-left corner of the Spore ModAPI Easy Uninstaller.
2. Use the Spore ModAPI Easy Uninstaller from the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit you did NOT choose to keep to uninstall all of the mods you installed using that Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit.
3. Reinstall all of the mods you just uninstalled, this time using the Spore ModAPI Easy Installer from the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit you DID choose to keep.
4. Delete the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit you chose NOT to keep.

MewtwoFanz wrote:and could somebody make a version of the ModAPI Launcher that can fix this problem and let spore run correctly?
No, that's completely unnecessary. Metaphorically speaking, that's like asking someone to custom-build you a new engine specifically for your car...because your car has a flat tire.
I tried doing the fix you gave me, but I got the same exact result. Any other suggestions?
:di:
"Watashi wa Dare da?"
~Mewtwo, from
Mewtwo's Counterattack (Mewtwo Stikes Back, Japanese Ver.)

My Spore Username is: MewtwoAmberLove1
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

MewtwoFanz wrote:I tried doing the fix you gave me, but I got the same exact result. Any other suggestions?
I'll need you to show me some things:
1. The complete contents of your only remaining Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit folder.
2. Your Spore ModAPI Easy Uninstaller and all of the mods listed within it.
3. Your Spore Galactic Adventures data folder in its current state. Do not re-send the same screenshots you sent earlier.

If you're reading this, you have my permission to build off of my mods as long as I am credited. Please don't mirror my work unaltered, unless I no longer provide a working download.
MewtwoFanz
Creature
Creature

rob55rod wrote:
MewtwoFanz wrote:I tried doing the fix you gave me, but I got the same exact result. Any other suggestions?
I'll need you to show me some things:
1. The complete contents of your only remaining Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit folder.
2. Your Spore ModAPI Easy Uninstaller and all of the mods listed within it.
3. Your Spore Galactic Adventures data folder in its current state. Do not re-send the same screenshots you sent earlier.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/EzZGGrC6mtZxbvgE8

Here you go. I have multiple screenshots here in this link. Hope it helps
"Watashi wa Dare da?"
~Mewtwo, from

rob55rod
Admin
Admin

MewtwoFanz wrote:-image album snip-

...huh. Okay, there goes that idea. Let's test another hypothesis...

Switch to the Core Spore GUI in Dark Injection's settings, then open Spore, open the Sporepedia, and show me a screenshot of what the Sporepedia looks like. I know this may sound weird, but bear with me.

MewtwoFanz
Creature
Creature

rob55rod wrote:
MewtwoFanz wrote:-image album snip-

...huh. Okay, there goes that idea. Let's test another hypothesis...

Switch to the Core Spore GUI in Dark Injection's settings, then open Spore, open the Sporepedia, and show me a screenshot of what the Sporepedia looks like. I know this may sound weird, but bear with me.
I did what you said, still, same results as before. Anything else we can do?
"Watashi wa Dare da?"
~Mewtwo, from

rob55rod
Admin
Admin

MewtwoFanz wrote:I did what you said, still, same results as before. Anything else we can do?
...oh.

Okay, there goes that hypothesis. On to the next one...

I need you to retake this screenshot, but this time, make sure that the file sizes are visible in the image.

MewtwoFanz
Creature
Creature

rob55rod wrote:
MewtwoFanz wrote:I did what you said, still, same results as before. Anything else we can do?
...oh.

Okay, there goes that hypothesis. On to the next one...

I need you to retake this screenshot, but this time, make sure that the file sizes are visible in the image.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/g64EXDSRYYUpqbF27
Here you go. Hope this helps
"Watashi wa Dare da?"
~Mewtwo, from

rob55rod
Admin
Admin

MewtwoFanz wrote:https://photos.app.goo.gl/g64EXDSRYYUpqbF27
Yeah that's not quite right. Run the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit setup program again (redownload it if needed), and "upgrade" your existing Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit. After that, let the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit update on its own. Tell me if that changes anything.

MewtwoFanz
Creature
Creature

rob55rod wrote:
MewtwoFanz wrote:https://photos.app.goo.gl/g64EXDSRYYUpqbF27
Yeah that's not quite right. Run the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit setup program again (redownload it if needed), and "upgrade" your existing Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit. After that, let the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit update on its own. Tell me if that changes anything.
Nope, didn't change anything. Now what?
"Watashi wa Dare da?"
~Mewtwo, from

rob55rod
Admin
Admin

MewtwoFanz wrote:Nope, didn't change anything. Now what?
...seriously? Okay...show me what the folder looks like now. Again, retake the screenshot. I want to see what's changed, if anything.

MewtwoFanz
Creature
Creature

rob55rod wrote:
...seriously? Okay...show me what the folder looks like now. Again, retake the screenshot. I want to see what's changed, if anything.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/VLzxGrVCaN6aTuWe7
Here you go
"Watashi wa Dare da?"
~Mewtwo, from

rob55rod
Admin
Admin

MewtwoFanz wrote:
rob55rod wrote:
Here you go
Create a new text document in that folder, call it "debug.txt". Then run the Spore ModAPI Easy Uninstaller, click the gear icon next to the entry for Dark Injection, and post screenshots of all of the diagnostic MessageBoxes which appear after that.

MewtwoFanz
Creature
Creature

rob55rod wrote:
MewtwoFanz wrote:
rob55rod wrote: ...seriously? Okay...show me what the folder looks like now. Again, retake the screenshot. I want to see what's changed, if anything.
Here you go
Create a new text document in that folder, call it "debug.txt". Then run the Spore ModAPI Easy Uninstaller, click the gear icon next to the entry for Dark Injection, and post screenshots of all of the diagnostic MessageBoxes which appear after that.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/W4AJBeBA7JDu3hit6
"Watashi wa Dare da?"
~Mewtwo, from

rob55rod
Admin
Admin

Well this is...annoying. Everything seems to be exactly as it should be, bar the game's ability to start.

I'm starting to think I may have been mislead by the thread's title. I have a new hypothesis: Save data corruption. If I am correct, then this likely has nothing to do with anything related to mods...rather, you may well have simply fallen victim to one of Spore's many...imperfections.

We can test this new hypothesis. To do so, I'll need you to do a few things:
1. Press WIN+R, type "%appdata%, press ENTER. This will open a folder, and in that folder, I want you to locate another folder called "SPORE" and rename it to "SPORE 2019-11-04".
2. Go to your Documents folder. In it, find another folder called "My Spore Creations" and rename it to "My Spore Creations 2019-11-04". (Note that the folder's name may be in a different language depending on your system and/or game language.)
3. Temporarily uninstall Dark Injection. While I don't believe DI is to blame for the corruption, I have observed in the past that DI can, under some circumstances, hamper Spore's ability to generate entirely new save data, so we'll need it out of the way for the time being.
4. Run the Spore ModAPI Launcher as you typically would. See if the game starts. Let me know what happens either way. (Note that if it does start, you may notice that all of your save planets and creations are missing. They haven't been deleted, only moved out of the game's view. We'll discuss getting DI reinstalled and restoring your creations soon enough, provided the game starts at all.)

MewtwoFanz
Creature
Creature

rob55rod wrote:
Well this is...annoying. Everything seems to be exactly as it should be, bar the game's ability to start.

I'm starting to think I may have been mislead by the thread's title. I have a new hypothesis: Save data corruption. If I am correct, then this likely has nothing to do with anything related to mods...rather, you may well have simply fallen victim to one of Spore's many...imperfections.

We can test this new hypothesis. To do so, I'll need you to do a few things:
1. Press WIN+R, type "%appdata%, press ENTER. This will open a folder, and in that folder, I want you to locate another folder called "SPORE" and rename it to "SPORE 2019-11-04".
2. Go to your Documents folder. In it, find another folder called "My Spore Creations" and rename it to "My Spore Creations 2019-11-04". (Note that the folder's name may be in a different language depending on your system and/or game language.)
3. Temporarily uninstall Dark Injection. While I don't believe DI is to blame for the corruption, I have observed in the past that DI can, under some circumstances, hamper Spore's ability to generate entirely new save data, so we'll need it out of the way for the time being.
4. Run the Spore ModAPI Launcher as you typically would. See if the game starts. Let me know what happens either way. (Note that if it does start, you may notice that all of your save planets and creations are missing. They haven't been deleted, only moved out of the game's view. We'll discuss getting DI reinstalled and restoring your creations soon enough, provided the game starts at all.)
I did what you said, still didn't work. I'm not lying, OK? And I was on a plane ride home yesterday, so I couldn't test this until today. What else can I do about this save data corruption?
"Watashi wa Dare da?"
~Mewtwo, from

rob55rod
Admin
Admin

MewtwoFanz wrote:I did what you said, still didn't work.
Well that pretty much disproves my hypothesis.

MewtwoFanz wrote:I'm not lying, OK?
...I didn't think you were, but okay...

MewtwoFanz wrote:And I was on a plane ride home yesterday, so I couldn't test this until today.
Fair enough.

MewtwoFanz wrote:What else can I do about this save data corruption?
Evidently it's not save data corruption, but something...more difficult to explain.

Given the state of the situation, I'm inclined to suggest you clear everything out and see if that does anything useful, as follows:

1. Press WIN+R, type "%appdata%, press ENTER. This will open a folder, and in that folder, I want you to locate another folder called "SPORE" and rename it to "SPORE 2019-11-06".

2. Go to your Documents folder. In it, find another folder called "My Spore Creations" and rename it to "My Spore Creations 2019-11-06". (Note that the folder's name may be in a different language depending on your system and/or game language.)

3. Make note of the mods you have installed. After that, use the Spore ModAPI Easy Uninstaller to uninstall whichever mods are listed within it. After doing so, double-check the Spore ModAPI Easy Uninstaller to make sure that nothing is listed in it. Rinse and repeat until the Spore ModAPI Easy Uninstaller's list is empty.

4. See if there are any mods you had installed manually. If there are, uninstall them manually.

5. Completely uninstall Spore and all of its DLCs.

6. Reinstall Core Spore, Spore Creepy & Cute, and Spore Galactic Adventures through Origin.

7. Open Spore Galactic Adventures. THIS TIME AND THIS TIME ONLY, do not use the Spore ModAPI Launcher. In theory, it shouldn't make any difference, but in practice...no loss in making sure.

8. If the game still crashes, stop here and tell me. Otherwise, proceed to the next step.

9. Don't reinstall that entire stack of mods you had previously - a lot of those are unmaintained and have been for several years now. Those ancient gameplay/balance mods may be especially troublesome...purely editor-related mods tend to hold up better. Since you're not using the disk version of Spore...as a rule of thumb, anything made or updated after March 20th 2017 can generally be trusted to still work today, anything from before that is to be used at your own risk. If you're not sure which mods to keep and which to remove, post a list and stop there, and I'll help you sort through them.

10. Use the Spore ModAPI Easy Installer to reinstall the first mod you've decided to keep. From now on, use the Spore ModAPI Launcher to open Spore, and see if the game still runs after installing the mod in question. If the game crashes, stop and make note of the mod you just installed, then uninstall it and try again. Whether the game starts after that or not, make note of the outcome here.

11. Repeat step 10 for each of the remaining mods you've decided to keep.

12. Report back as to whether the game still runs by the time you've finished.

MewtwoFanz
Creature
Creature

rob55rod wrote:
MewtwoFanz wrote:I did what you said, still didn't work.
Well that pretty much disproves my hypothesis.

MewtwoFanz wrote:I'm not lying, OK?
...I didn't think you were, but okay...

MewtwoFanz wrote:And I was on a plane ride home yesterday, so I couldn't test this until today.
Fair enough.

MewtwoFanz wrote:What else can I do about this save data corruption?
Evidently it's not save data corruption, but something...more difficult to explain.

Given the state of the situation, I'm inclined to suggest you clear everything out and see if that does anything useful, as follows:

1. Press WIN+R, type "%appdata%, press ENTER. This will open a folder, and in that folder, I want you to locate another folder called "SPORE" and rename it to "SPORE 2019-11-06".

2. Go to your Documents folder. In it, find another folder called "My Spore Creations" and rename it to "My Spore Creations 2019-11-06". (Note that the folder's name may be in a different language depending on your system and/or game language.)

3. Make note of the mods you have installed. After that, use the Spore ModAPI Easy Uninstaller to uninstall whichever mods are listed within it. After doing so, double-check the Spore ModAPI Easy Uninstaller to make sure that nothing is listed in it. Rinse and repeat until the Spore ModAPI Easy Uninstaller's list is empty.

4. See if there are any mods you had installed manually. If there are, uninstall them manually.

5. Completely uninstall Spore and all of its DLCs.

6. Reinstall Core Spore, Spore Creepy & Cute, and Spore Galactic Adventures through Origin.

7. Open Spore Galactic Adventures. THIS TIME AND THIS TIME ONLY, do not use the Spore ModAPI Launcher. In theory, it shouldn't make any difference, but in practice...no loss in making sure.

8. If the game still crashes, stop here and tell me. Otherwise, proceed to the next step.

9. Don't reinstall that entire stack of mods you had previously - a lot of those are unmaintained and have been for several years now. Those ancient gameplay/balance mods may be especially troublesome...purely editor-related mods tend to hold up better. Since you're not using the disk version of Spore...as a rule of thumb, anything made or updated after March 20th 2017 can generally be trusted to still work today, anything from before that is to be used at your own risk. If you're not sure which mods to keep and which to remove, post a list and stop there, and I'll help you sort through them.

10. Use the Spore ModAPI Easy Installer to reinstall the first mod you've decided to keep. From now on, use the Spore ModAPI Launcher to open Spore, and see if the game still runs after installing the mod in question. If the game crashes, stop and make note of the mod you just installed, then uninstall it and try again. Whether the game starts after that or not, make note of the outcome here.

11. Repeat step 10 for each of the remaining mods you've decided to keep.

12. Report back as to whether the game still runs by the time you've finished.

Rob55rod, you won't believe it! It works! IT FRICKIN WORKS!!! OH MY GOD!!!

I did what you said, and it works! FINALLY!!! *ecstatic screams*

So, now that ive got it working again, I want to get my creations back into my sporepedia. Luckily, I still have them in the renamed folder. so, im supposing I rename the folder to "Spore" and over time, my creations will redownload? tell me if im wrong or not, please.

BTW, Thank you, so, so, so, so, SO, SO MUCH For helping me up to this point. I almost gave up on this game, but now I don't have to. and I have you to thank for it. So thank you. So much. :)
"Watashi wa Dare da?"
~Mewtwo, from

rob55rod
Admin
Admin

MewtwoFanz wrote:Rob55rod, you won't believe it! It works! IT FRICKIN WORKS!!! OH MY GOD!!!

Well that's certainly a good sign.

MewtwoFanz wrote:So, now that ive got it working again, I want to get my creations back into my sporepedia. Luckily, I still have them in the renamed folder. so, im supposing I rename the folder to "Spore" and over time, my creations will redownload? tell me if im wrong or not, please.
Before we get to that, we'll need to take care of your mods. Have you already gone through the mods you previously had installed and reinstalled those you deemed safe? And if so, care to provide a list of which of the mods you ended up reinstalling? (I just want to double-check to make sure you aren't, for example, missing anything which some of your creations may depend on)

MewtwoFanz wrote:BTW, Thank you, so, so, so, so, SO, SO MUCH For helping me up to this point. I almost gave up on this game, but now I don't have to. and I have you to thank for it. So thank you. So much. :)
No problem. I'm not about to let you give up on Spore entirely over this if there's anything I can do about it...which it seems there is.

MewtwoFanz
Creature
Creature

rob55rod wrote:
MewtwoFanz wrote:Rob55rod, you won't believe it! It works! IT FRICKIN WORKS!!! OH MY GOD!!!

Well that's certainly a good sign.

MewtwoFanz wrote:So, now that ive got it working again, I want to get my creations back into my sporepedia. Luckily, I still have them in the renamed folder. so, im supposing I rename the folder to "Spore" and over time, my creations will redownload? tell me if im wrong or not, please.
Before we get to that, we'll need to take care of your mods. Have you already gone through the mods you previously had installed and reinstalled those you deemed safe? And if so, care to provide a list of which of the mods you ended up reinstalling? (I just want to double-check to make sure you aren't, for example, missing anything which some of your creations may depend on)

MewtwoFanz wrote:BTW, Thank you, so, so, so, so, SO, SO MUCH For helping me up to this point. I almost gave up on this game, but now I don't have to. and I have you to thank for it. So thank you. So much. :)
No problem. I'm not about to let you give up on Spore entirely over this if there's anything I can do about it...which it seems there is.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/d4BsEbkmHBHwU5ML9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Z54w3EeznJURP6Ew7

Here's the list of mods I kept (And added a few), and video proof that everything is back to normal. Sorry for the extremely late response, I was playing a TON of Dark Injections, AND Pokémon Sword and Shield, and I haven't been able to respond to you until now. But thank you, SOOOO MUCH, Rob! I couldn't have been happier enough.

PS: I figured out everything else after your last response, obviously. ;)
"Watashi wa Dare da?"
~Mewtwo, from

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Help”