Force Load?

Post your mod ideas here. Nothing is lost in asking, but don't get your hopes up, but feel free to discuss.
Forum rules
Please keep in mind that if your request is not granted immediately, that doesn't mean it never will be. Sooner or later, someone may well pop in and try to make it happen. Patience is a virtue. Just...don't go around begging and annoying people over it.
Additionally, be aware that while the Spore ModAPI has empowered mod developers like never before, our ability to add "new" functionality still has its limits, so if there's nothing in Spore that can already do it, we may not be able to either. Nothing is lost in asking, but don't get your hopes up, especially not for anything really big.
p.d
Civilian
Civilian

Force Load?

Unread post by p.d »

Hey there! Forgive me if I posted this in the wrong place or if this is a question with an obvious answer. I've been out of the loop for a while. It looks like my last post here was...*cough* 2014?

Anyway, I recently got a new computer and decided I wanted to use the old one for playing Spore. So I loaded everything up properly and installed the latest version of DI (love the new improvements btw, especially those non-flesh colored hands and feet) and everything seems to work great.

Unfortunately, I have some captains that I want to take back into the creature editor to make some tweaks on and I can't get them to load as creatures. In the past I used SporeHack, but now every time I open it I just get a notification asking "Is the game running?" I'm assuming Sporehack and Origin don't want to play nicely with each other (last time I played GA, EADM was still a thing)

tl;dr:
I know DI supports the loading of "Illegal" creations into their native editor, but does it/another mod/hack support the loading of creations into DIFFERENT editors?

rob55rod
Admin
Admin

Re: Force Load?

Unread post by rob55rod »

p.d wrote:Hey there! Forgive me if I posted this in the wrong place or if this is a question with an obvious answer. I've been out of the loop for a while. It looks like my last post here was...*cough* 2014?
You and several other returning site visitors, yes.

p.d wrote:Anyway, I recently got a new computer and decided I wanted to use the old one for playing Spore. So I loaded everything up properly and installed the latest version of DI (love the new improvements btw, especially those non-flesh colored hands and feet) and everything seems to work great.
Glad to hear you're enjoying it.

p.d wrote:Unfortunately, I have some captains that I want to take back into the creature editor to make some tweaks on and I can't get them to load as creatures. In the past I used SporeHack, but now every time I open it I just get a notification asking "Is the game running?" I'm assuming Sporehack and Origin don't want to play nicely with each other (last time I played GA, EADM was still a thing)
That would likely be a result of the March 2017 patch. Maybe. Idk tbh
p.d wrote:tl;dr:
I know DI supports the loading of "Illegal" creations into their native editor, but does it/another mod/hack support the loading of creations into DIFFERENT editors?
Not that I know of...and in fact, given all the problems Force Save is causing for everyone, I've been working on removing it from DI and making DI work without it.

That aside, if memory serves, there's actually a glitch for loading captains into the creature editor...unfortunately, I don't recall exactly how to perform it myself, and I've been unable to locate any surviving instructions as to how to perform it. I know some people who might know though, so...I'll ask around and see if I can get you some instructions or something.

EDIT: Found a video tutorial I'd forgotten existed. [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WOMytuAKjQ[/youtube]
Having trouble with the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit? Get help here!

If you're reading this, you have my permission to build off of my mods as long as I am credited. Please don't mirror my work unaltered, unless I no longer provide a working download.
p.d
Civilian
Civilian

Unread post by p.d »

rob55rod wrote: Not that I know of...and in fact, given all the problems Force Save is causing for everyone, I've been working on removing it from DI and making DI work without it.
If it's any consolation, I've had absolutely no problems with it. I originally attempted to play the game with my old version of DI (6 or 7 maybe?) and everything was a mess. I couldn't load or edit anything despite it having worked properly in the past. As a last ditch effort, I upgraded to version 9 after reading a post on here that force load was now supported by DI itself and managed to save about 99.9% of everything I had made just by resaving it.

Personally, I'd recommend leaving force load as an option for future releases, but maybe giving the option to turn it off? (And a disclaimer that it could wreck some stuff up for certain users)
--

As for editor switching not being supported, that's okay. It was only about 3 creations. Hopefully somewhere in my old files I still have the creature versions saved in some obscure folder

-Thanks for your help :D
p.d
Civilian
Civilian

Unread post by p.d »

...Oh, you found the tutorial while I was replying. :o
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

Unread post by rob55rod »

p.d wrote:If it's any consolation, I've had absolutely no problems with it.
Tell that to all the players who lost their first modded creations after forgetting to name them before saving. I understand it's not generally a huge deal once you learn how to work with it, but that horrible first impression for newcomers is not okay.

p.d wrote:I originally attempted to play the game with my old version of DI (6 or 7 maybe?) and everything was a mess. I couldn't load or edit anything despite it having worked properly in the past. As a last ditch effort, I upgraded to version 9
...wait...version 9? You upgraded from an 9-year-old build of DI...to a 6-year-old build of DI...when the latest release was 8 months ago? Out of curiousity...why?

p.d wrote:after reading a post on here that force load was now supported by DI itself and managed to save about 99.9% of everything I had made just by resaving it.
...huh.

p.d wrote:Personally, I'd recommend leaving force load as an option for future releases, but maybe giving the option to turn it off? (And a disclaimer that it could wreck some stuff up for certain users)
Normally, I'm all for greater user choice, but under the circumstances...I have several objections to that approach:
1. Most users use the default configuration without bothering to look at the options available to them, so having Force Save enabled by default would largely defeat the purpose of removing it at all.
2. Part of why I'm removing Force Save from DI is to send a message to other part mod developers, that screwing our users over so we can keep being lazy isn't okay. DI has protected them from having to face this reality for too long, it's not fair to anyone involved. Keeping Force Save as an optional feature would make it far too easy for an ignorant part mod dev to just tell their users to enable DI's Force Save as the official fix for the inevitable flood of "why aren't my creations saving anymore!??" inquiries (not an unreasonable inquiry, but...y'know...). I trust that most devs would be better than that, but you can never count on 100% of people to do the 100% right thing 100% of the time. Obviously this won't stop someone from directing users to download an external force save mod, but I'd like to do my part here.

p.d wrote:-Thanks for your help :D
No problem.

p.d wrote:...Oh, you found the tutorial while I was replying. :o
I had a feeling that would happen. Knew I should've made it a separate post, lol
Having trouble with the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit? Get help here!

If you're reading this, you have my permission to build off of my mods as long as I am credited. Please don't mirror my work unaltered, unless I no longer provide a working download.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Mod Ideas”