Solar Spore 0.5a

Talk about projects in development or experimental mods...

What would you want to see next?

New vehicle & building parts
13%
More options for number of planets in a solar system
13%
More options for number of creatures per pack
7%
A way of purchasing tools at any time
3%
More tools
6%
A way to reverse a planet buster
7%
All of the above
52%

Total votes: 71
NUCLEARCAKEEE
Cell
Cell

Re: Solar Spore 0.5a

Unread post by NUCLEARCAKEEE »

Ooh, might download this one. I was kind of disappointed with how we hardly ever get to see the unique interactions in Creature stage.
Are the creatures hardcoded to stick around their nests, or did you just remove them to make things more difficult?

vanillacold

Unread post by vanillacold »

Just to let you all know, this mod isn't scrapped, I just haven't really been working on it recently.
I have, however, created a poll to know what y'all want to see next, for when I eventually start working on it again
Hello there! I'm a random guy who sometimes does *slightly* smart stuff. I do a lot of random Spore shenanigans, too.

Feel free to build off my open-source mods, but please don't add them to modpacks; it could cause compatability issues.
Morei
Cell
Cell

Unread post by Morei »

just wanna say im glad i stumbled across this mod! i was in the middle of playing when i wondered if there was a way to have more pack members. took a little bit of looking to find this. normally i wouldnt install mods that do so many things at once (i like to keep it simple) but reading all the changes made to creature stage, but these sound like the kind of things i always wanted to see in creature stage! excited to try it all out on a new planet (assuming this would probably mess with an existing save file...)
vanillacold

Solar Spore 0.5a

I've been working on 0.6a of Solar Spore for a while now, here are some of the features I'm adding:

-More options for herd sizes!
In 0.5a, herds of creatures are way too large and the individual creatures are usually too close together.
I'm fixing this in 0.6a by adding more options for the sizes of herds. I've only added two so far (slightly less creatures & original herd size with no nests), but I plan on adding more.

-More options for number of planets in a solar system!
Like the herd sizes, there are too many planets in a solar system with Solar Spore. I plan on adding more options so that you can add more planets without crowding a solar system too much.

-New tools!
Many of the custom tools in 0.5a don't work. I've fixed some and others have been replaced with completely new tools, such as the "Lucky Dip" (gives you a random tool) and "Change Species" (changes your empire's species).

-New superweapons!
I'm also adding one new archetype-exclusive tool for each archetype (and two for Wanderer). All but one of these will be given to the player after colonizing 30 systems.

-Rare materials!
With this component, each system will have a random "rare material" on one of its planets (including gas giants) instead of spice. These materials may sometimes be huge money-makers, but they can sometimes be worth less than the colony packs used to build the colony.

(If you have any ideas for tools or rare materials, please let me know!)
Hello there! I'm a random guy who sometimes does *slightly* smart stuff. I do a lot of random Spore shenanigans, too.

Feel free to build off my open-source mods, but please don't add them to modpacks; it could cause compatability issues.
Xalodir
Hatchling
Hatchling

Unread post by Xalodir »

Doesn't such weapon/tool edits make the game way too easy?
"The planet-buster laser (An infinite-use planet buster which replaces the normal one)"
I think for higher challenge that such tools must have incredible price to use. And infinite use weaponry/tools are making game less challenging.

It's good your .sporemod has variants on what elements to setup. For now I will run just the first option, that just doubles the cost of vehicles for civ stage, although no price increase for building (maybe it's conflicting with one of the many mods I put). It's Still good though, as wasting vehicles will be less preferable now as they cost double. Edit: no wait, the vehicles cost same default amount, it only just writes double amount price.

I also think there should be future option to determine the amount of herds, as I think there's too many of them I think. Maybe that should be solved later as they'd spread out in much wider area. Altough, for variety, there should be some way to randomize on who nests and who doesn't.
And there should be something done with AI abuse: when you socialize with other creature 2 times, then before you totally befriend them, you attack them, but don't kill just hurt once, making the social progress drop to 0, then you go back to them, and repeat this process where you can abuse single species to constantly farm DNA points. I suppose I should just handicap myself not abusing the AI, but man it's so easy.

But I also think that creature stage (and beyond) would also require some more variety on planet terrain itself that would make navigation more interesting, as all creatures are spread out on generally flat area.

I do wonder if it's possible to stack effects of the parts like making heavily detailed creatures that more powerful.

It's also a very ambitious suggestion about "Reversing planet buster". That reminds me that grand scene from "Titan After Earth", where Titan SpaceShip generated completely new planet using nearby mineral crystals and a lot of energy.
Youtube video
I suppose that's gonna be a nearly impossible goal as it would likely require coding new mechanic (creating new plane ingame)and also creating a very detalized animation (that would also fit the art design of the game so it would look that it's organic part of the game).

Slightly offtopic info:
Spoiler
So far I found handful of mods that lengthen/harden the game a bit, while also making it that other mods give some creative freedom without making it too easy.
I achieved this by intentional mod conflict when mods layered on top of each other override certain scripts. (mods that are in .package format which I can rename to give priority order to them)

Like for example Max Games R.S.'s "Mod Colonizer Suite .90 / SpaceLord" lets me make 10+ colonies, but I don't like that it gives me tons of sporebucks from start. So I load up first the vanasten1's "Hardcore Space Mod" and spore-mods' (forgotten spore) "More Ships on Planets". This way I now start with default starting credits with new tool intact, while also keep said new tools expensive. I also run both colonizer suite and spacelord, despite it was said to use one of them, as they gave their own cool conflict, like keeping the original tool unmodded, while keeping new tool.
I found out this by accident and long trial and error. It's interesting how the mod "More Ships on Planets" doesn't do it's intended work anymore but managed to override the starting sporebucks script of "colonizer suite" into default amount.

I also stumbled upon such mods like "Distinct Difficulty" on nexus mods, and "Challenging Tribal Stage" here. It's gonna take a lot of time testing each mod I discover and seeing how well they do together to accumulate into much more fun challenging game.
Also, is there any mod that makes non-player ships/turrets/defense systems faster/smarter to combat player's kiting maneuver? Because many of those higher health/damage mods for npcs doesn't seem to solve this issue as nothing stops me from kiting them and keeping myself at distance while they can't reach me.
maflthewaffle
Cell
Cell

Unread post by maflthewaffle »

I love this mod, and can't wait for 0.6a, but I do have some feedback regarding the length of stages.

The length of the Tribal stage is small compared to civ stage, at least on hard mode. I have not tried easy or normal yet, because the vanilla game made everything so easy. Playing Civ on hard is nearly impossible for me and my play style. That said, Civ Stage is just perfect, because hard IS hard (if not maybe a bit unfair, but I'm not here to whine), and not just a little challenging. I actually feel encouraged to design new vehicles for different occasions and stages of my civilisation.

So, to sum it up, great job on the civ stage.

Now please make Tribal stage just a little longer, and if it's possible, give the player's empire the ability to invade other planets, and maybe give the player some passive money. I mean, how can an entire empire depend solely on a captain's pocket money?

Now that I think of it, that's a fun idea for a mod: Elite Spore.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. Keep up the great work!
vanillacold

maflthewaffle wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:07 pm The length of the Tribal stage is small compared to civ stage, at least on hard mode.
I think it's the same in vanilla Spore too, though I didn't actually modify the tribal stage yet.
maflthewaffle wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:07 pm That said, Civ Stage is just perfect, because hard IS hard (if not maybe a bit unfair, but I'm not here to whine), and not just a little challenging. I actually feel encouraged to design new vehicles for different occasions and stages of my civilisation.
So, to sum it up, great job on the civ stage.
That... that's actually a bit surprising to me, the longer civ stage component was just me messing around with the civ stage and I wasn't really trying to balance it out much.
maflthewaffle wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:07 pm Now please make Tribal stage just a little longer, and if it's possible, give the player's empire the ability to invade other planets, and maybe give the player some passive money. I mean, how can an entire empire depend solely on a captain's pocket money?
I did actually plan on making the tribal stage harder at one point, though I couldn't figure out a decent way to do it. I'll try again soon, though.
And for letting the player's empire invade other planets, the Your Invasion mod by Mrs. White (which doesn't actually seem to be on Davoonilne right now, though it is on the Spore Modding Community Discord server in one of the global announcements) does that exact thing.
maflthewaffle wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:07 pm Anyway, sorry for the long post. Keep up the great work!
Thank you. I'll try to make sure that 0.6a isn't as much of a mess as 0.5a.

darkening6
Cell
Cell

Unread post by darkening6 »

this mod is awsome problem is space pirates always appear in signaled planets. cant find any artifacts. shame. this mod is almost perfect
vanillacold

darkening6 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:14 am this mod is awsome problem is space pirates always appear in signaled planets. cant find any artifacts. shame. this mod is almost perfect
I think that issue's caused by the "75 planets per system" component. It should be much less noticable in v0.6 when I eventually finish that one day (which will add way more options for the number of planets per system), unless you still use a large number of planets per system.

The mod is far from perfect though, especially with glitches such as some new tools (Peace Bomb and Global Earthquake) not functioning or the galaxy being really hard to navigate with the "enhanced" galactic camera.

darkening6
Cell
Cell

-ive been playing a week with this mod installed. i noticed when going to signaled planets has no chance getting planet coloring tools. i think it also affects planet coloring tool spawn rate. i had only skies of red / purple terra coloring / deep blue sea in paint tab.
-can u add a mod that allow u to see all planet in solar system planet list. well we can only view 5 planets per solar system and it wont show all other planets name in that system
-real problem is if u had quest about finding artifacts. and the game tells u its on 2-3 parcecs on a planet "Unown". then u had 50-75 planet in a system mod on. u really had a problem finding it. it takes a while lol
vanillacold

darkening6 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:44 pm -ive been playing a week with this mod installed. i noticed when going to signaled planets has no chance getting planet coloring tools. i think it also affects planet coloring tool spawn rate. i had only skies of red / purple terra coloring / deep blue sea in paint tab.
That's probably caused by the same thing, the stupidly large number of planets per system.
-can u add a mod that allow u to see all planet in solar system planet list. well we can only view 5 planets per solar system and it wont show all other planets name in that system
Unfortunately, that currently doesn't seem to be possible - Spore is hardcoded to only show a maximum of 5 planets.
-real problem is if u had quest about finding artifacts. and the game tells u its on 2-3 parcecs on a planet "Unown". then u had 50-75 planet in a system mod on. u really had a problem finding it. it takes a while lol
Yeah, that's another reason why I shouldn't have made so many planets appear per system. I have added warnings to the 75 and 20 planet components for
v0.6, though that's all I can really do to help.

maflthewaffle
Cell
Cell

Unread post by maflthewaffle »

Yeah, that's another reason why I shouldn't have made so many planets appear per system. I have added warnings to the 75 and 20 planet components for
v0.6, though that's all I can really do to help.
Why not take the amount of planets and dwarf planets on our system and make that the average? For example, Counting all planets means the average number is eight, including gas giants. However, you could argue that in Spore, dwarf planets and large moons such as Europa, Io, Titan, or Ganymede also count, as the player can colonize them. Therefore, we could say the average number of planets in a solar system could be 18 for example, in order to account for the larger moons. From that number, solar systems could have about 5 more or 5 less. Of course this wouldn't solve the problem, and I'm sure there's no way you can make it so a specific number of these celestial bodies orbit around gas giants.

If you could however, then it would make having 20 to 30 planets in a system more sound, because only a fraction would be actually habitable, and most would either be gas giants or small moons.

As a side question, is there a way to make it so that multiple factions occupy the same system? My guess is no, but I figured I'd ask.
darkening6
Cell
Cell

-can you include also more uber turret. so that we can place 2-3 uber turrets in a planet :D
-more chance to find storybook planets. these planets are hard to find :D
ReaperGamerYT
Creature
Creature

Unread post by ReaperGamerYT »

darkening6 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:17 am -can you include also more uber turret. so that we can place 2-3 uber turrets in a planet :D
-more chance to find storybook planets. these planets are hard to find :D
For the uber turret thing i do not think that is possible
I am nab
vanillacold

ReaperGamerYT wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:01 pm For the uber turret thing i do not think that is possible
With custom code, anything would be theoretically possible; although more uber turrets would be pretty useless, since they'd most-likely have the same effects when the player isn't on the planet.

vanillacold

maflthewaffle wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:23 pm [snip]
If you could however, then it would make having 20 to 30 planets in a system more sound, because only a fraction would be actually habitable, and most would either be gas giants or small moons.
Forgot to respond to this, I'm sorry.
I already did actually decide on what to do about solar system sizes; specifically, I made it so that the user could choose how many planets should generate per system.
As a side question, is there a way to make it so that multiple factions occupy the same system? My guess is no, but I figured I'd ask.
Unfortunately no, since the variable for who owns the system is just a singular pointer, not an array or anything along those lines that would allow multiple empires control it.

Bruhthebruh
Cell
Cell

Unread post by Bruhthebruh »

is this still being updated?
[*]i just want some mods
vanillacold

Bruhthebruh wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:59 pm is this still being updated?
I haven't been working on Spore mods much for a while, sorry.
However, I do want to get this mod back on track soon; although that's easier said than done, since most of the code I wrote for it is kind-of abysmal.

vanillacold

Sorry about the lack of both updates and information on what I've been working on.
I have been working on the mod, alongside a few others (e.g my Effect Overrider mod, and another large mod), but I should've really been keeping everyone here updated at least a small bit.

Alongside what I've stated earlier, version 0.6 will also be improving the NPC spacecraft weaponry.
Some close-range lasers will now be able to damage the player, while long-range cannons can be replaced with warp-cannons; able to warp the ship directly to your position.
You can see a video of these in action, here:

I've also been working on another system that will change the space stage a decent bit.
Here's a sneak peak at the current WIP GUI element of what it is that I've been working on:

vanillacold

Progress update; I've mostly implemented the WIP showcased in the previous update.
It's a research system that allows the user to research powerful tools.

Here's a video showcasing it:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “[WIP] Work In Progress”