Spore ModAPI

Download tools and get the latest patches.
Hightlyze
Creature
Creature

Re: Spore ModAPI

Unread post by Hightlyze »

rob55rod
Admin
Admin

Unread post by rob55rod »

Hightlyze wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArcTnGZ9y0Q
(thats my error message)
Oh, you're using the Steam version of Spore. That would explain it...don't do that.
Having trouble with the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit? Get help here!

If you're reading this, you have my permission to build off of my mods as long as I am credited. Please don't mirror my work unaltered, unless I no longer provide a working download.
petrsolny
Hatchling
Hatchling

Unread post by petrsolny »

Hello, I'm having these errors:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (1.34 KiB) Viewed 9664 times
Untitled1.png
Untitled2.png
Untitled2.png (3.64 KiB) Viewed 9664 times
Please help

edit: I have SPORE™ Collection from GOG.com, tried to run as admin (it recommends not to), I have latest version of Windows 10, reinstalling did not help, I have updated version of SPORE ModAPI Launcher Kit
VanScarletka606
Hatchling
Hatchling

Unread post by VanScarletka606 »

https://imgur.com/a/BmV9xO3
hello, I had problem before with installing the mod in to spore. I solved it when I reinstalled the whole game, but now I can't play it because MModAPI laucher keeps sending me this error, I should reinstall it again I gues, right? :"/
Hightlyze
Creature
Creature

rob55rod wrote:
Hightlyze wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArcTnGZ9y0Q
(thats my error message)
Oh, you're using the Steam version of Spore. That would explain it...don't do that.
so i have to install the origin version?
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

petrsolny wrote:Hello, I'm having these errors:
-snip-

Please help

edit: I have SPORE™ Collection from GOG.com, tried to run as admin (it recommends not to), I have latest version of Windows 10, reinstalling did not help, I have updated version of SPORE ModAPI Launcher Kit
Don't run as Administrator, and make sure you've actually legally purchased Spore from GOG.

VanScarletka606 wrote:https://imgur.com/a/BmV9xO3
hello, I had problem before with installing the mod in to spore. I solved it when I reinstalled the whole game, but now I can't play it because MModAPI laucher keeps sending me this error, I should reinstall it again I gues, right? :"/
...so, wait...did you actually install Spore from Steam?

Hightlyze wrote:so i have to install the origin version?
No, you just have to use any legal version of Spore that isn't the Steam version. The Origin version will work, as will the retail disk and GOG versions. That said, you can usually gain access to the Origin version for free by transferring your game keys from Steam to Origin, though you may need to contact EA support if the Origin client doesn't cooperate.

If you're reading this, you have my permission to build off of my mods as long as I am credited. Please don't mirror my work unaltered, unless I no longer provide a working download.
TriangleMyst
Hatchling
Hatchling

Unread post by TriangleMyst »

EDIT: DELETED
Last edited by TriangleMyst on Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hightlyze
Creature
Creature

EDIT: deleted
Eshasunrise
Cell
Cell

Unread post by Eshasunrise »

Howdy. I've had an issue with the Spore ModAPI Installer/Launcher. I'm pretty sure it's the same as the issue TriangleMyst is having.

For starters, when loading mods via the ModAPI Installer, and launching with the Launcher, any mods installed in such a way aren't run in the game. Second, when trying to install Dark Injections, a very particular error occurs.
Spoiler

If the image doesn't show up, click the following link to imgur. https://imgur.com/a/AkmlsxD
As detailed in the image within the spoiler, it states that the Spore Installation Folder cannot be found and asks to locate it manually. Upon doing so with the :ga: folder, it refuses to function further. With the :spore: folder, it seems to function well, but upon clicking install, it brings up the same error message. Clicking the same folder recurs the message, while clicking a different one errors out (which is the only thing that seems to function correctly).

For context, I have the Origin download of :spore: and :ga: with all patches, including :rp: . I initially had it via Steam, but uninstalled it when beginning to download mods. I have other mods installed (mostly small script changes and part packs) installed and they seem to work fine, it's just the API launcher that's giving me trouble.
Functioning, I suppose.
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

Eshasunrise wrote:-snip-
When you said you had Spore on Steam prior, and that you uninstalled it...did you uninstall Steam Spore before or after installing Origin Spore?

Eshasunrise
Cell
Cell

rob55rod wrote:
When you said you had Spore on Steam prior, and that you uninstalled it...did you uninstall Steam Spore before or after installing Origin Spore?
At first it was before, however after reading through the forum, I backed up my data, uninstalled both, reinstalled the Origin version, reinstalled ModAPI for good measure after that, and no change.
Functioning, I suppose.
Eshasunrise
Cell
Cell

*UPDATE*
Spoiler
Got it working in the most obnoxious way possible.
After reading a forum about someone with a similar problem (Here - viewtopic.php?f=173&t=6831)
I decided to brute-force it. It took 5 attempts with 16 retries on the successful one, but eventually after specifying the installation folder enough, it started installing. Had to specify the folder AGAIN twice during the install, but it worked eventually.

So yeah, just brute force it. I'm gonna chalk it up to old mod is quirky + EA doesn't actually like people having fun.

Thanks again to rob55rod for the support, and for keeping up with this mod and forum for so long. Time to play some Spore!
EDIT:

Okay. So I managed to get DI installed as I said in the above Spoiler, but now Spore crashes every time I open the creature creator. I uninstalled all the mods I had before, and uninstalled/reinstalled DI, but no change.

What I THINK is happening is DI isn't writing properly due to the fact that ModAPI won't let me install directly into the Galactic Adventures folder (closes when attempted) meaning I have to install into the Spore folder directly, which simply doesn't work for most other mods. I suspect this because, despite selecting to replace Spore's UI with Darkspore's, I still get the standard launch and available menus. Incidentally, installing without the UI/audio replacement doesn't work either. I may be wrong however, so let me know if I am.

Incidentally, several other mods
Spoiler
(Next Steps, No Pirate Attacks, City Walls, Unlocked Range, Color Picker, Infinite Scaling and UPR)
don't work whether I use API or not, regardless of DI's status. Also, I ran the installer and uninstaller both in and out of administrator with no issues either way, and only ran the launcher as administrator to see if it would change anything, which it didn't.

Oh yeah! Good news: it only takes 8 tries to convince DI that the Spore Folder is, in fact, the folder called Spore! It also took only one extra reminder, which thinking about it is weird since I'm pretty sure it's asking for each file it has trouble moving (different installation locations?), so having it change how frequently it needs to ask is odd.
Functioning, I suppose.
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

Unfortunately, you're not wrong about brute forcing the installer, but it seems to me that there's more to this than just that. I'm starting to wonder if maybe something was left behind when you uninstalled both Steam and Origin Spore...how familiar are you with viewing data in regedit?

Eshasunrise wrote:So yeah, just brute force it. I'm gonna chalk it up to old mod is quirky + EA doesn't actually like people having fun.
The problem you're facing isn't specific to DI, not to mention DI is still actively maintained to this day (you're welcome), so..."old" is debatable, and pinning it on the mod itself is flat-out wrong - DI, like other mods, use a system I created to allow any mod developer to easily create one of these custom installer GUIs. Which is awesome, until that common implementation breaks, which in your case, it has.

Eshasunrise
Cell
Cell

DI, like other mods, use a system I created to allow any mod developer to easily create one of these custom installer GUIs.
I see. Good to know
how familiar are you with viewing data in regedit?
Not at all, but looking it up, it seems a lot more convenient than the standard file explorer. Tell me what to do.
Functioning, I suppose.
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

Eshasunrise wrote:Not at all, but looking it up, it seems a lot more convenient than the standard file explorer. Tell me what to do.
...how is it "more convenient" than File Explorer? They serve completely different purposes. The comparison doesn't even make any sense.

...are you sure you didn't end up stumbling across something else with a similar name or something...?

Eshasunrise
Cell
Cell

I figured it out. First, I reset my galaxy by renaming the Roaming (%appdata) folder for Spore, then uninstalled and reinstalled Spore and SporeGA. After that, ModAPI would run properly and install DI quickly without issue, but the game kept crashing on startup.

What was causing issues for my game were the new Roaming Files. Even though it installed all the right files, it couldn't load the game properly, and wouldn't generate a new galaxy, causing a crash. I looked in the old folder for comparison, and found my old Steam file was still being stored there under [games], so I excised the folder called Game0.Old and renamed the folder back to Spore, so I would have a galaxy.

Spore and GA run smoothly with the launcher now, and the installer and uninstaller properly work.

Thanks again to rob for the support, and for maintaining and troubleshooting! Happy adventures!
Functioning, I suppose.
Apocalyptichorse
Cell
Cell

Unread post by Apocalyptichorse »

been some years, I had a huge urge to play some spore again, did a fresh reinstall of everything, found out the new stuff, I'm now given this error:

it seems I am missing some files, but as far as I'm aware I've installed everything properly? I can give additional info if needed
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

Apocalyptichorse wrote:been some years, I had a huge urge to play some spore again, did a fresh reinstall of everything, found out the new stuff, I'm now given this error:

-snip-
it seems I am missing some files, but as far as I'm aware I've installed everything properly? I can give additional info if needed
Where did you buy and install Spore from? Steam? GOG? Disks? Origin? And what is the full path to the location you installed it to?

Apocalyptichorse
Cell
Cell

Unread post by Apocalyptichorse »

rob55rod wrote: Where did you buy and install Spore from? Steam? GOG? Disks? Origin? And what is the full path to the location you installed it to?
Disk version, only pirated C&C due to losing the disc for it years ago, but last time I modded spore that didn't cause any problems. I also got GA and the 1.5 patch installed

For Spore itself it's in: Image
the api is in: Image

after installing the api it came in a zipfile which I unpackaged resulting in the file above, once I clicked the launcher I was prompted to update which I did, it had given me the same error before but I figured it'd sort itself out once I updated it. I don't know if these files were there prior the update or not, but I also have these two in Roaming: Image

I figured trying to put the files from the tempfile into the sporemodapi one, but it resulted in a 9.dll error message, not sure if I should put the contents from the roaming Spore folder into the main game spore folder, I'll do a facepalm if that is what I needed to do, but since the error specifically talks about the api I doubt that is it
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

Apocalyptichorse wrote:Image

after installing the api it came in a zipfile which I unpackaged resulting in the file above,
No, that's not your Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit install folder. That's just a temporary directory used by the installer, which I forgot to program the installer to delete after installation finishes.
You can locate your actual Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit install directory by viewing any of the three batch scripts the installer leaves on your desktop in a text editor.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Tools & Patches”